To increase chaitanya of Temple
The Panchamahayajnams (rituals) are called a) Brahma yajnam b) Deva yajnam c) Bhootha yajnam d) Pithruyajnam e) Manushya yajnam
* Brahmayajnam means Vedapadham. In all big temples a person/persons used to be employed to recite Vedas in the very early morning. In Yajnasala veda recital is at Sadass. In temple it is at Mandapam.
* Devayajnam is the pooja inside the Sanctum Sanctorum. The recitals resemble that of Yajna.(See item 8)
* Pitruyajnam is the kriya done inside Thidappilly during Thuval.(Thidappally is the place where cooking is done for Nivedyam, to be offered to God)
* Thuval is Bhoothayajnam.(worship of all the upadevas located around the sanctum sanctorum)
* Ootu or feeding is Manushya yajnam.(feeding the poor and pilgrims)
Five important items which increase the Chaitanya (spiritual power) of a temple ;-
1. The “ thapa sakti of Thanthris and poojaris” – The celibate and pure life of these people are of utmost importance for the temple. Recently some of them have become so egoistic, that they try to even go against age-old practices, misinterpreting the tantric laws. At Angadipuram temple one Thanthri forgot that he was a Brahmin and in order to spite the Trustee of the temple, snatched away the bow and arrow from the Trustee’s nephew and shot the Jackfruit (representing the wild boar) during the Arat during the Pooram.
2. Murajapam: There should be at least one Brahmin appointed to recite Vedas daily in the early mornings at the temples. He has to sit in the early morning before sunrise on the Mandapam and recite the Vedas. All the three vedas are to be completed at least once in the month.. A few temples like Guruvayur continue this practice even now. Most of the Devaswam board temples do not have this arrangement.
3. Daily poojas and other rituals.(as given above under panchamahayajnam)
4. Utsavam: Utsavas are of three types. The most elaborate is Ankurathi. There is Prasasada sudhi in an evening, Bimbasudhi next morning, then Ankuraropanam (sowing the seed) before the actual utsava starts. Sowing is done after the seeds are soaked in milk and kept in earthen pots and watered daily after mixing the water with haldi powder. There should be a room at the northeastern corner of the temple called sprout room. Its door should face the west. .Poojas are to be performed before the seeds are kept for sprouting. ( Recent experiments have proved that sprouting is faster if soaked in milk ,and haldi powder is an insecticide.)
5) Annadanam: (Feeding the poor devotees, and the pilgrims who come to pray at the temple) This is to be done daily for all poor people around, and pilgrims who visit the temple. Nobody can concentrate on God with an empty stomach except great saints.Feeding the poor pleases god.
The temples were the centre of all activities in Bharat including the Government.(One reason why the invaders wanted to destroy the temples first). The Rituals in the temple were for the health of the mind and body. Bharathiya sanskruti did not permit us to have an organised (political) religion and we never tried to expand within or beyond our borders. Later when we came under attack from foreign organised religions, many of our brothers lost the freedom to preserve our mental and physical health, Freedom to think what is right and what is wrong and also to carry out healthy rituals. This has resulted in new organisations springing up throughout India to protect the freedom of thinking in Bharat.
The name Hindu is given to us by foreigners . The name Bharat means Agni or fire. We did worship Agni (Agnijwala ) because we knew that it reflects the power of the “Sun”, the giver of all energy.
Kalasam:- This is carried out whenever renovation is to be done to the pedestal of the Bimbam (Deity) or any part of the sanctum sanctorum at the temple.The chaitanya of the Deity is tranferred to earthenware vessels by elaborate rituals and only then are repairs etc done to the Deity (Bimbam) and the sanctum sanctorum. Afterwards the Chaitanya is again retransferred to the deity before regular poojas are conducted.
To increase chaitanya of Temple